Key Winning Features
- High Precision
Ultra-short pulse laser micromachining allows for very small feature sizes of down to 25 µm at highest reproducibility.
- Easy Adjustment of Mechanical Properties
Varying the thickness of silicone, parylene-C, or metal layers creates softer or harder electrode structures.
- Easy Adaptation of Shape and Functionality
Electrodes can be modified to build 3-dimensional assemblies as well as nerve cuff electrodes to be wrapped around peripheral nerves.Further adaptions include the integration of microfluidic channels for drug delivery into electrode arrays.
- Excellent Electrochemical Properties
Platinum-Iridium or MP35N are used as standard electrode materials.Other materials are available upon request. To improve charge injection capacity, high performance coatings can be provided.
- High Level of Patient Safety
Mechanical interlocking mechanisms prevent electrode contacts from dislocation and ensure safe contact to neural tissue.
- Improved Usability and Reliability
Great mechanical adaptability make surgical handling significantly easier. Superior reliability maintains full electrode functionality even under recurring loads.
- Freedom of Design
Freedom of Design of the shape of electrode contacts and outlines allows for significantly higher performance of planar or cuff electrodes during stimulation and recording.
- Adjustment of thickness and flexibility by number and type of polymer or metal layers
- Adaptation of contact density and functionality by number and type of metal layers
- Integration of microfluidic channels and ports
- Silicone electrodes: 0.15 mm – 1 mm
- Hybrid silicone-parylene electrodes: 0.08 mm – 1 mm
- Silicone electrodes: down to 0.1 mm
- Hybrid silicone-parylene electrodes: down to 0.05 mm
- Silicone electrodes: down to 0.3 mm center-to-center
- Hybrid silicone-parylene electrodes: down to 0.08 mm center-to-center
- Depending on number of contacts
Contact shape: round, rectangular or arbitrary
Design geometry maximum: 90 mm x 90 mm
Various designs for electrode outline incl. slit contours
Design Variations – Cuff Electrodes
Inner diameter: starting from 0.1 mm
Number of contacts: arbitrary
- Split cylinder
- Piano hinge
Further closing mechanisms for chronic implantation can be developed
Folding planar AirRay™ electrodes
3D assembly of multiple AirRay™ electrodes
Combination with other technologies:
- Depth electrodes
- 3D metal parts
Functional components such as surgical mesh or suture material
More technical Information
Medical grade silicone rubber:
Long–term (≥ 30 days)
Short–term (< 30 days)
Medical grade metal alloys:
Sputtered Iridium Oxide (SIROF)
Physical surface modification permits
additional adaptations to the
|Max. 0,03||260 kΩ 5 kΩ||32 kΩ 0,6 kΩ|
|0,09 mC/cm2||47 kΩ 1 kΩ||8 kΩ 0,2 kΩ|
Sputtered Iridium Oxide (SIROF)
- Device design
- Tests/validations of new designs incl. technical documentation
- Impedance spectroscopy
Characterization of the electrode’s recording performance.
- Pulse testing
Characterization of the electrode’s stimulation performance.
We offer ethylene oxide sterilization including peel-pouch or blister packaging in collaboration with external partners. Upon request steam sterilization using sterile pouches is offered as in-house service.
- Corrosion testing
Evaluating the corrosion resistance of a particular electrode design for a given stimulation paradigm.
- Reliability testing
Common cyclic bending and pull tests under different environmental conditions but also setups tailored to the customer’s needs.