Customized Encapsulation Technology for your Implant
CorTec is offering a wide spectrum of services accompanying you all the way through the development of innovative technologies leading to an approved medical device in the end. Our CorTec Encapsulation Technologies enable us to develop customized solutions for your specific requirements. We offer hermetically sealed encapsulations as well as non-hermetic solutions, like overmoulding technologies.
Thanks to our development process and modern production technologies our team of highly skilled and experienced engineers can rapidly implement your design ideas and provide you with silicone moulding prototypes faster.
High Channel Count
Thick film technology enables hundreds of electrical feedthroughs — unlike conventional titanium packages with metal pin feedthroughs.
The ceramic encapsulation is transparent to electromagnetic waves facilitating communication via radio frequency or infrared as well as inductive powering.
Superior HermeticityProtection of electronics against moisture works 10 times longer compared to standard titanium packages — even for small implant volumes below 1 cm3. Lifetime is extendable by additional application of desiccants.
Freedom of Design
CorTec´s ceramic encapsulations allow application-specific shapes and designs.
Creation of electrical feedthroughs and insulating layers via hybrid thick film technology.
Protecting the electronics from moisture via hermetic solder-sealing.
Ensure biocompatibility via customized, void-free silicone overmoulds, also offering low humidity levels due to low leak rates and application of water getters.
Freedom of Design
CorTec´s non-hermetic encapsulations allow application-specific shapes and designs.
- Circular, oval, or rounded-edge rectangular designs
- Ceramic packages are molded in silicone rubber in application-specific shapes
- Minimum height: 2 mm
- Variable lateral dimensions: maximum footprint of 80 mm x 80 mm
Feedthrough Dimensions and Spacing
- Feedthroughs come as metal tracks on ceramic base substrate
- Minimum track width: 0.08 mm
- Minimum pitch: 0.2 mm
- Minimum pad area: 0.1 mm x 0.5 mm
Hermetic Sealing in Controlled Helium Environment
- Elaborated cleaning & drying procedure minimizes trapping of water molecules inside the package before sealing
- Packages are sealed in 100% helium atmosphere permitting the best possible lifetime prediction based on helium leakage measurements
Customized Telemetric Coils
- Hand-crafted high precision coils
- Materials: Gold or copper
- Up to 50 windings
- Adaptation to the needs of customer-specific inductive power and data interfaces
Medical Grade Silicone Rubber Shell
- Customized void-free silicone molding
- Structural and surface biocompatibility
Connection to other products
- AirRay™ electrodes
- Commercially available implantable connectors
Our new CorTec Business Catalogue
More technical Information
In Contact with the Body
- Smooth implant shell and cables made of medical grade silicone rubber.
- All other materials such as the ceramic encapsulation, the feedthroughs, and the metal seal for the package are covered by this silicone shell.
Helium fine leak testing for hermeticity:
Extremely low leak rates qualify our packages for rejection thresholds below 10(-10) mbar l s(-1).
- Device design and preliminary studies
- Tests and validations incl. technical documentation
- Assembly and packaging of customer electronics
- Interconnection technologies
- Functionality testing
- Hermeticity qualification (He-leak testing)
- Customized silicone rubber mold design and processing
- Validated cleaning procedures